Friday, June 19, 2009

Fluffy Biscuits

I've made and ate many kinds of biscuits. The storebought buttermilk ones are ok...but, greasy and expensive. Most baking powder type biscuits that I've made always left something to be desired. Bisquick ones I can often take or leave...

Well, I've finally found a favorite biscuit recipe!!

I copied this "Fluffy Biscuits" recipe from a Taste of Home cookbook. I'm thinking the egg makes the difference from most biscuits I've made...?

Small TIP from Bobby Flay: when placing biscuits on your baking sheet, keep biscuit edges touching. This helps them rise higher.

(I've tried this with the entire batch, but the center ones don't seem to cook all the way through. I now group 3 biscuits together... nice, fluffy biscuits!)



FLUFFY BISCUITS

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2/3 cup milk

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-inch thickness; cut with a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.

Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Yield: 1 dozen


Mmmmm! Nothing quite so deliciously comforting as a warm, flaky biscuit slathered in butter and jam!!

Enjoy!
blog signature


SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

14 comments:

. said...

Thank you so much for sharing your receipe with us. **Drool

What's the difference between biscuits and scones?

From a SITSsta. :)

Melissa said...

Those look SO good! I haven't made biscuits for a long time!

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

Oh those look soooooo fluffy and yummy. Come make some for me, pretty pleeeeease?

Brook said...

These look so good! How many does a batch make?

A Cooking Bookworm said...

The recipe should yield 1 dozen. :-)

Anonymous said...

OK this may be a dumb question, but what is shortening? I know how to use butter and margarine.

A Cooking Bookworm said...

Shortening is a solid vegetable fat, the most common brand is Crisco. In the US, shortening can be found in the baking aisle.

You can substitute butter, margarine, or lard in most recipes calling for shortening.

In this biscuit recipe, I often use half butter/half shortening for a super flaky and buttery tasting biscuit.

Hope that helps!

Petula said...

Now I want some biscuits! :) I'm going to have to try this and replace the shortening. I haven't used shortening in years... that's how my grandmother taught me to cook. :) ... I feel like going in the kitchen right now and gather up the ingredients. Wait, "feel like" may be the wrong phrase, but you know what I mean. LOL. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to be trying these soon. Maybe tomorrow morning... sound good with coffee, huh?

Ann said...

I made these last week to go with some butternut squash soup. They are absolutely wonderful! I'm telling the world about them :)

Anonymous said...

I've been searching for a fluffy biscuit recipe and I'm glad I came across this one :D
they are so tasty
Thank you

Stephanie said...

Glad you found this recipe. It is truly our family's favorite! :-)

Nancy said...

These look lovely!

Nancy
allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

Rachel said...

I made these but mine didnt rise as much. maybe I rolled them out thinner. I also didnt know i should make them touch. the flavor was great even though i added less sugar because i didnt want them too sweet. i will make again and try new tips.

A Cooking Bookworm said...

Hi, Rach! I'm glad you gave them a try! They really are my favorite biscuit recipe, and I love the flavor! I hope you'll give them another try and let me know how they turn out!

Thanks for stopping by! Comments make my day! :-)
Stephanie

307728_Coupon Savings - 468x60
Blog Widget by LinkWithin